Single Mother Pension, and any other Centrelink Benefit - Single Parent Pension / Single Parent Payment (Parent Payment Single) / Sole Parenting Payment, Centrelink Newstart Payment, Austudy, JET child care and Carers Payment, Carers Allowance - read and discuss the latest in here!
Forum rules: Please do not post any real names or identifying details in the forums (This is to comply with Section 121 of the Family Law Act, 1975, and also for privacy issues). This site does not contain legal advice. Where personal legal advice is required, please seek the assistance of a competent legal practitioner. Please read the complete forum rules, terms and conditions here: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=15&start=0
For any concerns regarding this forum, please contact us here:
By Maclaren
Hi There,

I just cancelled my parenting payment single as i have just picked up some freelance work which will cover all my costs and is more than an efficient amount of funds to live comfortably without any benefits. I just wanted to know how to go about cancelling my ftb a and b? I dont need to claim child care also as my parents are retired and are able to look after my two children which will be more cost effective.

I prefer not to rely on benefits if i dont need to.

Thanks in advance!
By Mum22
You can just call Centrelink, or go to a Customer Service office and advise them you'd like to cancel your payments. Simple.
You should know, that FTB A & B are entitlements to ALL families, not just single parents, anyone with legal care of a child can claim these payments.
By Chantal Long
You can log into your myGov account and change payment preferences to after you lodge your tax return the next year.
I have done this for next year as I'm working good hours and don't want to risk over payment
By Maclaren
Last year they found a compliance issue regarding an over payment 6 years ago which turned out to be nothing. I was employed through an employment agent and my tax return had the actual company i woked for and the tax man had my return as the employment agent so it didnt match in which i had to send an email to the employment agent to get a written letter confirming my refund. I also dont want no overpayments. A family member had a debt with them as well and paid it. Turned out to be an incorrect debt.