Single Mother Pension, and any other Centrelink Benefit - Single Parent Pension / Single Parent Payment (Parent Payment Single) / Sole Parenting Payment, Centrelink Newstart Payment, Austudy, JET child care and Carers Payment, Carers Allowance - read and discuss the latest in here!
Forum rules: Please do not post any real names or identifying details in the forums (This is to comply with Section 121 of the Family Law Act, 1975, and also for privacy issues). This site does not contain legal advice. Where personal legal advice is required, please seek the assistance of a competent legal practitioner. Please read the complete forum rules, terms and conditions here: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=15&start=0
For any concerns regarding this forum, please contact us here:
I am currently doing just that!
I had no option but to sell up my possessions after my marriage break up and as there is no way I could afford to pay rent on benefits I opted to buy a little caravan and travel. My child is unable to attend mainstream school due to medical condition so we were already homeschooling her anyway. There is a FB page called Single Parent Wanderlusters it's a small group but it's really great to meet other single parents on the road. You do have to be pretty frugal with your money food is my most expensive outlay as I try to travel slowly sometimes staying in 1 place for 2-3 weeks I free camp mostly. I'm in Tassie atm (came over in January) but will be back to the mainland in July ( the boat over here is expensive but it's 99% free camping so it's worth it) I would definitely recommend it you could prob buy a van of some kind that the seats fold down to a bed and if your kids are old enough just get them swags or a little tent. Or you can do it in a car and caravan if you are confident enough to tow. There are cheap caravans and camper trailers out there. There are travellers with tents too so don't rule that out. Good luck with it all. If you want my contact details let me know I will work out how to privately send to you