Single Mother Pension, and any other Centrelink Benefit - Single Parent Pension / Single Parent Payment (Parent Payment Single) / Sole Parenting Payment, Centrelink Newstart Payment, Austudy, JET child care and Carers Payment, Carers Allowance - read and discuss the latest in here!
Forum rules: Please do not post any real names or identifying details in the forums (This is to comply with Section 121 of the Family Law Act, 1975, and also for privacy issues). This site does not contain legal advice. Where personal legal advice is required, please seek the assistance of a competent legal practitioner. Please read the complete forum rules, terms and conditions here: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=15&start=0
For any concerns regarding this forum, please contact us here: http://www.singlemum.com.au/contact/
By skymum
Hi, just looking for some advice please.

I am a widow with a 4yo, trying to get back into the workforce. My nearest support/ family is over 350km away as i reside in a regional area with high unemployment rates.

I managed to find some casual work, which hours vary week to week. Although my employer only requires me to have availability for a set 3 days.

My child is currently in daycare which is subsidised for 2 days per week, although i need to put her in for the 3rd day so i can work if required. I will need to pay the full fee for the 3rd day of childcare as i do not meet centrelinks criteria of 15hrs per week.

So hence my dilema, has anyone else been in this situation, and how did you get around it?

I am so discouraged to work now, as the hours im doing is not alot. I wanted to work so i could be a rolemodel for my child, and minimise the years of unemployment (while i raised my baby) and have some adult interaction. It appears if i continue to work we will be financially worse off.

Im already feeling overwhelmed doing the jobs of both parents, not having family nearby means i rely heavily on support offered by the government.

Its depressing to think im trying to teach my child morals by working, whilst centrelink make it look more appealing, less hassle and more money IF I DONT WORK.

Sorry for the long post, i hope someone can help with information.