Here is your chance to tell your story - what brought you to where you are now - a single mum!
(Please ensure that no real names or identifying references are used)
Forum rules: Important - Family Law Warning!
Section 121 of the Australian Family Law Act 1975 makes it an offence to publish proceedings or identify people involved in family law proceedings - please ensure that your post does not breach this law. Never use identifying factors in your posts such as real names, ages, places, etc., or put facts together in such a way that can identify you or any other individual or situation
Be aware that any online posts, including in our Forum, on Facebook or Twitter, etc., can be found using Google, and can possibly be used against you in a court of law
This site does not contain legal advice. Where personal legal advice is required, please seek the assistance of a competent legal practitioner
Please read the complete forum rules, terms and conditions here - viewtopic.php?f=16&t=15&start=0
By Chill82
Hi.
I was married for 13 years & have 5 children.
I was recently made aware that I had other options. I was brought up to "stick it out", but my other half was subtly manipulative & some times if I stood up for too long he would get verbally abusive & occasionally physical. For a long time I thought I had no where to go, no where to turn. Don't get me wrong, I have a great family My Mum & Dad are always giving us stuff & I have 5 other siblings, but I was afraid that if told my family some of what was happening my brothers would go & beat him up.... Which they probably would have done... Then earlier this year I told my sister about some of the verbal abuse & she came & took me to her place for the weekend to think about what I should do for the future. I gave my other half an ultimatum, prove to me in the next 3 months that you can change or it's over. He didn't last 3 months before calling me names for not paying attentions to him when he wanted it (although he would ignore the rest of the time). My beautiful sister came & stayed with me for 3 nights while he moved out. Well he moved a minimum of his stuff (waiting until he gets his own place/3 months post separation so I can tell him the rest of the stuff has to go)
Now I'm going through so many mixed emotions, I hate the fact that I still love this guy who has hurt me so much. I want our kids to have a good relationship with both parents & it's hard. I have to give up the weekends where I used to take the kids out to visit friends & relatives, just so they can see him, but he can't have them overnight where he is staying so I don't get a single night off unless I let him stay at my house & I go somewhere else. But I can't stand having him stay here either, I come home & things are moved & feel all wrong...
Anyway that's enough of a vent from me (for now), If you made it through reading all that I salute you!